Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Gibson City, IL: One Stoplight Town

Initially my plan was to go to Indiana after Missouri. I had a WWOOF host secured and was in contact with him when I was finally free to head that way. When I reached out to him to confirm, he gave me different information, as in he wanted me to meet him at his office, he wasn’t sure if Neville was good there, and my trailer would ‘probably’ fit. I had a weird feeling in my gut and already missed 4th of July with my friends there, so I ran the information by Mom who hated the sound of him and asked me not to go. Granted, she had been watching a lot of Criminal Minds, but with both of us feeling uncomfortable I decided to skip Indiana. I informed my would-be host of this and his responses made me happy with my decision to continue on. Chicago was the next city I wanted to be close to and I found a campground about 2 hours away in Gibson City. Once I had this destination locked in and was on my way, I felt much better.  



I arrived at the tiny Gibson City campground (so small that I passed it once) after driving through miles and miles of two lane farm land roads. There were green fields as far as the eye can see and the only sign that I was actually approaching a town was the farm houses and church that I passed on the way in. At first I thought there wasn’t an open spot and started wondering where I would land in the middle of nowhere, but I drove through and there was a spot with my name all over it. All of the 7000 point turns I’ve been making have paid off because I backed into the spot perfectly my first time. SUCCESS. That really made my day. 


"Son screen prevents sin burn"


Walked the pup through the site and surrounding neighborhood. The campground entrance sign details everything there is to do and directs campers to go to the police station to pay for the stay. We loaded back in the car and as I drove to the station I realize we could have easily walked there, it was maybe two streets over from the neighborhood we just walked through. The police station was small and part of a strip of buildings right in the ‘heart’ of the town. Gibson City is literally a one stoplight farm town; quiet, quaint, friendly, and I love it. After I was settled in for the night, I kept seeing headlights through the window and hearing a car door. Looking out I noticed another lone woman working to back her trailer into a spot, having some difficulty. I got out and helped her out, knowing the struggle all too well. She backed in and we exchanged pleasantries, she was a kind lady who will be there for a month for work. Back in the Drag Queen I crashed for the night, so happy with the way things turned out and snuggled my boy to sleep.  






The next day I took the chance to get my life together. Neville and I walked through town, got laundry done, ate at a local breakfast joint, and refilled the propane tank for the camper.  Everyone we have encountered here is friendly and they all seem to have dogs; we explored neighborhoods and anyone outside waved and said hello. This peaceful time to myself, back in my 'home', is just what I didn't know I needed. 





Back at the campsite I was in contact with my friends Daniel and Jesus that I met back in Nashville, to figure out when would be best to come visit Chicago. Plans were made and I then reached out to WWOOF hosts at my next stop to solidify those plans. Progress was made! Ended the night with a coffee grounds scrub in the shower. I've read that it's great to exfoliate your skin and condition your hair with and decided why not give it a go. I have plenty to use and no garden to put it in, so experimentation it is! Earlier in the day I got the key to the showers on site... for those wondering why I don't use the shower in my camper, that is due to the lack of water pressure in there. I can spit harder than it flows. The shower at the camp reminds me of a prison cell, but beggars can't be choosers. It was big and the water pressure was great so i didn't actually mind. I worked the coffee grounds all over myself, head to toe, and after my shower my skin was so soft! Win! I'm going to make a regular habit of doing this. Relaxed outside, enjoying the cool weather, and beautiful sunset. I wish I could put in to words how happy I feel. 






No comments:

Post a Comment