Sunday, May 29, 2016

Tampa, FL: Take Off


Since I bought my travel trailer I have been waiting for a name for it to hit me. I don't like to rush these decisions, I like for the name to fit. Hell, it took me a few weeks to pick 'Neville' for the pup. Then one day, while chatting with a coworker,  in a moment it happened- she was christened! But first, a story.

Rewind to a few months ago as the Transportation Guy at work, lets call him Kevin, was asking about good burger joints in Tampa. I recommended Hamburger Mary's for two reasons: 1) the food is good and 2) google it if you don't know about it. That's what Kevin should have done. But, like a good person, he just took my word for it. The following Monday I stopped by his office to say hi and he simply looks at me with this... look. "Hamburger Mary's," he says, so I smiled and asked if he went. Turns out, he did not; however, he suggested the restaurant to his parents over the weekend. From my understanding, they are not extremely religious or conservative or anything, but suffice it to say that the environment at Hamburger Mary's was not the brunch spot they were expecting. "I can't believe that you sent my parents to a drag queen restaurant!" says Kevin, and all I can do is laugh. Whoops. It comes up every now and then in conversation and never fails to be funny.

Fast forward to present day... Kevin and I are talking about my impending travels- places to go, things to buy, people to meet, and whatnot- and I mention that the camper has not yet been named. He throws out some clever sayings and ideas then stops. His eyes get big and he slowly points at me and says... "The Drag Queen". I immediately loved it. What better name for the fabulous rig dragging behind me? And it stuck. So, I introduce you to: The Drag Queen.



Since I'm about ready to take off, I'd like to thank everyone who has supported and encouraged the preparation and planning for my journey.

To my crazy co-workers: Thanks for the goodbye celebration and best wishes, but most importantly for the pizza (and the effort in getting all 198,829,020 of them) :) Please keep me in the loop when anything interesting happens!



To my Tampa crew: The last hurrah was a blast! I look forward to dancing the night away again, but next time we will make it to the last two stops. Special shout out to my Squad- let's FaceTime and enjoy some bubbly together soon.



To my friends and family at home: Thank you for making it out to the BBQ and boat day. I appreciate the love and good vibes from everyone; nothing beats quality family time <3



 


And to those of you talking about the trip, sharing my blog, or just following along- thank you!

Now I'm off to hit the road with the Drag Queen!

4 comments:

  1. Have a great trip! Sorry we didn't catch up before you left, but I will be following you on here, can't wait to see where the road takes you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your help before I left.. Don't let the Almanac slack!

      Delete
  2. Have a wonderful trip! Cannot wait to follow all your adventures!

    ReplyDelete