Sunday, June 5, 2016

Asheville, NC: Explore

As I’ve mentioned before about the WWOOFing experience, the past few days weren’t all work, there was plenty of time for play. The mornings consisted of breakfast, feeding chickens & pigs, shower, and play. 

 

The pigs are so excited that they stand underneath the food and don’t move out of the way when it’s poured, so they end up wearing it on top of their head. They have no manners and completely dive in, with their heart and soul, if they have one. Makes total sense when someone says “So and so eats like a pig.” Yuck. The chickens seem scared of the feed until its done raining down through the coop. Then they come over and start pecking and I keep thinking of Zac Brown Band's song Sic Em on a Chicken. I would post the video, but this wifi just isn't cutting it.


Mom and I decided to visit Banner Elk, North Carolina, and on our drive up we saw a little restaurant around a bend and decided to stop. What a great decision! It was the Squirrel Nut Brewery and what an incredible place all around. First off- it is beautiful. The restaurant is situated on the North Toe River, with multicolored flowers planted all around. The weather was beautiful that day, the deck out back is dog friendly, and so was the staff. Perk #2! Our server, Trillium, was genuinely friendly and informative. I didn’t get the other girls name who was working, but she was always smiling and very helpful. Perk #3- the food. It is a farm to table restaurant and everything we ordered tasted SO GOOD. The beer is brewed on site as well, and though I wasn’t able to catch a tour of the brewery, I was able to sample 4 of them and YUM. They also sell wine (one named after our server) and I didn’t try any, but Mom enjoyed hers. We were so so happy that we decided to stop at this middle of nowhere spot and I encourage anyone in the area to go and try it.

 


From there we drove through Banner Elk and up to Beech Mountain. It really blows me away every time how beautiful the mountains of North Carolina are.. it’s no wonder they call it God's Country. It’s funny how I’ve been driving so much the past few days, but I still really don’t mind it, especially with Mom’s company. When we stopped I was able to take the pup on a nice long walk and let him run himself tired.


After a few hours here we headed to the drum circle in Pritchard Park that a friend of mine told me about (thanks Kristin!). The parking garage was extremely small but my giant vehicle managed to fit and we walked around a few blocks before hearing the drums. Neville was not digging all of the people and add in the drumming and dancing, this scene was not for him. He kept trying to hide behind me or pull away to the other side of the street, panting like crazy, and was generally unhappy. So as much as I wanted to get in the mosh pit of hippy dance, we walked around the circle then up a few blocks up where it was quieter. 


We stopped in at a dog friendly, champagne bar/bookstore- all of my favorite things! It was the Battery Park Book Exchange and Mom and I relaxed with a glass of bubbly (in awesome flutes), celebrating our first night in the city. It's funny how we can be so sweaty and hardworking in the morning, then shower up and head out and people have no idea about our farm life. 


We got back to the car in the miniature parking garage and happened to catch a firework show with the best view! Don’t know exactly where it happened or the what the purpose was, but happy to have seen it.



While at the Stovall House, we were talking with our hosts about the upcoming stops and Lloyd and Johnna mentioned that they had friends who owned a coffee shop in Weaverville, NC. When Mom and I were talking with our North Carolina host's friends, Kathryn and her family, they told us about a bakery and we told them about the coffee shop. Turns out they are right down the block from each other. And really, what goes better with coffee than sweets? And what better way to spoil ourselves on Mom’s last day after our hard work over the past week? So we headed first to All Good Coffee and met the owners, telling them that they were recommended by Lloyd and Johnna. They were more friendly people and happy that word had spread from one state to another. Small world! Got our coffee to go and headed to Well Bred bakery and got our sweets. They servings were huge! But it all went down smoothly together, as anticipated. 




After we were full and happy we made out way to the farmers market for a variety of items and managed to get everything we needed in one fell swoop. I was pretty happy to spot an Asheville Farmers shirt and get it for $10 cheaper than advertised. We had just enough time to attempt to drive past the Biltmore Mansion (it’s $55 for a self guided tour and wine tasting.. not in my budget for this trip). We drove down the long tree lined driveway and turned around at the security guard. Oh well, maybe next time. Then it was time for Mom to go :( I dropped her off at the airport and as I was headed back I noticed that the Sierra Nevada brewery was right by the airport. Hooray! I did the self guided tour and got a flight at the end. The bar area was neat and the food looked good, but I had other stops I wanted to make so this one was short. 



I headed to the Wicked Weed Brewery and was then directed to their Funkatorium. I missed the brewery tour, but tried one of their unique beers. It tasted like champagne and apple juice mixed together, without being too sweet. Yum! As I walked through the city and drove back to the Drag Queen, I reflected on the first week of my journey and what an adventure it has been off the bat. And I’m happy. 

4 comments:

  1. Everything sounds wonderful. That WWoofing program sounds amazing. And yes pigs are so gross lol yet Bacon so delicious! I really appreciate your description on all the food and unique drinks. Be safe out there. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I'm loving it so far! Glad you're enjoying :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Rebecca! Your vivid descriptions of the foods and beverages are so colorful that I feel as though I could taste them all!!! Yummy! You painted a delicious picture, even the hard work sounds fun! LOL Enjoy and stay safe as you embark on life's adventures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! I'll save you a bite next time :)

      Delete