Monday, June 6, 2016

Asheville, NC: Solo

The last few days in North Carolina were an adjustment since it was my first time by myself. And while it is always nice to have alone time, I missed having Mom’s company. I started the day off with some yoga and went on to feed the chickens with the help of one of the kids staying at the farm. He was quite the conversationalist, telling me about wildlife encounters and what he thinks about camping in a tent on this land with his sister. I told him about the last time I officially went camping with friends in Cape Hatteras and how the adventure went from a fun and lighthearted experience, bombing our neighbors with waterballoons and having a blast, to waking up in what now looked like Lake Hatteras, with a collapsed tent and personal items floating away. And then Jen jumped in Jenn's pee puddle. What a trip! But I digress.


My plan for the day was to hike a spot nearby, so Nev and I got ready to go and headed out. The sky was overcast and it looked like rain was a'comin, but we followed the GPS to our destination. All the way up into the Blue Ridge Mountains, where the end point was the side of the two lane highway. Hmm. I had no service in the mountains and couldn’t check a map of the trail, so I decided that all signs were pointing to ‘No’ for this hike. We drove back down through the beautiful mountains, cheered for the crazy people biking up the road, and went instead to the North Carolina Arboretum. We explored a few of the trails they offered over the next couple hours and enjoyed the creek bubbling alongside us and a nice rain shower while we were sweating like crazy. Perfect timing! 








As we were making out way back to the car I saw something on the trail up ahead. A baby deer! Or fawn, as you fancy folk may call it. Neville hadn’t seen it yet so while he was distracted eating grass, I contemplated what to do. A) Go up a different trail and leave the fawn be, just in case Mama Deer was nearby and feeling protective or B) Say F it and keep going, because this has’t happened before and who knows when it will again? I pulled out my GoPro and went with plan B. We slowly proceeded and Neville was QUITE interested in making friends. The deer stared at Nev, Nev stared at the deer. We walked forward a few steps, the deer walked into the woods a few steps, eating all the while. It was awesome for me, like something out of a movie. We have deer in Florida, but you mainly see them just at the wood line off the highways. The deer eventually went into the woods off the trail, but not too deep, and kept staring at us as we moved forward. Neville was still losing his mind and wishing leashes didn’t exist. Too bad, puppy. When we got back to the car I was still so excited about the Snow White-esque experience and reached out to my friend Dave, who I am visiting next, and told him about it. I couldn’t wait to see the video I captured! I was in great spirits on the ride home... sweaty, happy, had my windows down and music blaring. I heard a song called ‘Snapback’ by Old Dominion and loved it because hey- I’m wearing a snapback in the country right now! 


Sweet Asheville Farmers T-shirt

The first thing I did when we got back to the Drag Queen was plug the GoPro into the computer and transfer the files over. I’m scrolling through, but I don’t see it. Where’s my magical video?? Turns out my camera had died right around the time when I turned it on to record the interaction, and none of it was captured. It was only meant to be a memory, I guess. Tonight I made my first meal in the camper and it was delicious; washed it down with a cold beer and enjoyed the colorful sunset. I think that it's funny the amount someone's outlook can change after only a few days of trying new things. Not a bad way to end my first solo day. 

  

The next morning I helped Robert plant some seeds before his day outside the farm started. I ran a few errands in town and stopped for brunch at a crepe place Kathryn had mentioned. It was a cute spot and the food was good; I am loving this little town. But it was time to leave, so after packing up and saying goodbyes, I hooked the Drag Queen up and maneuvered it out of the yard- first time doing so by myself. Nailed it! I am so happy to have met Robert and Jessica and been welcomed into their home. And getting to know Kathryn and her children was a treat. I was even kind enough not to steal their pup, Rio, who was the sweetest little thing. To anyone interested in WWOOFing near Asheville, I recommend this easy going family.

  

Sunny and Rio
Jessica & Robert  

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that it was a great experience Rebecca!!!😀👍

    ReplyDelete