Saturday, June 25, 2016

Nashville, TN: Downtown

Lance was not only my host, but my tour guide as well. As I was driving out the driveway, JJ and Spot (the lambs) followed us.. all the way out to the road. Lance had to get out of the car, scoop them up, and then they got a quick ride in the backseat of my Expedition. We drove to a gate that led to the property where he hoisted them up and over, back home. I was elated to have two lambs in my back seat; that's definitely not something I would have pictured happening on my trip. Or anywhere else. Once they were back in their safe zone, we headed downtown, in the hot hot heat and humidity that is the South. 



Lance showed me the points of interest in Nashville as we walked all over the city. The first stop was the Nashville Parthenon, a full-scale replica of the one in Greece. Housed in Centennial Park, the structure was built in 1897 and only meant to be a temporary installment. By 1931, adjustments had been made to make the Parthenon a permanent fixture (according to the internet). Long ago, Nashville acquired the nickname "Athens of the West" due to their education goals and is presently known as the "Athens of the South". There is a statue of Athena inside that we couldn't get in to see due to a private event. We picked up some local beers and walked through downtown, through the honky tonk spots and boot stores, stopping at Acme to go up to the rooftop for a city view. The intersections here have interesting crosswalks, basically a big X so you can cross diagonally if needed. A homeless man thanked Lance for stopping to talk with him and gave us helpful information on the bus system. From there we headed to the gay pride parade downtown, missing it by about an hour. While we did miss the festivities, rainbow colors still adorned the streets with everyone feeling good and taking in the sites. We met up with two of Lance's friends, Timmery and Paul, and grabbed a bite to eat at Fleet Street Pub. Paul also has a farm and Timmery moved here from LA a few years ago; these two were as friendly as everyone else I have met and we made plans to go to the river in the next couple of days. After dinner, Lance and I walked through the streets and he pointed out places from his first few nights in the city. He allegedly did a backflip when I was turned around.. this hasn't been confirmed and he wouldn't do it again. 

Parthenon

Acme

Downtown

As we drove into town another day, a storm was rolling in and looking beautiful. We found parking that has a pay station, I paid and we headed out. While we were walking through some buildings a woman came after us, calling out. We stop and she asked if I was Rebecca. Um, yes? She says I left my card in the paystation. Sure enough, I don't have it on me. She verifies my last name and hands it over and I am so thankful! It felt like I was tapping into my inner Heather, having strangers running after me to give back my credit card. There really are good people all over. Frothy Monkey is the coffee shop we chose for lunch. I needed a caffeine fix and they had wifi so it was a win win. Just a tip, if you are in a spot with limited seating, share your table! One person doesn't need a four seat table, be a friend. I was in Coney Island by myself once and enjoying Nathan's Hotdogs when a couple came in with their hands full. I offered for them to sit with me and they were so relieved. It's easy, be nice. Anyway, we hit up the Old Glory brewery next; the building looked like a warehouse turned restaurant and the staff was so friendly. Grimes was nearby, a used record store and event space down below. When night fell we went back downtown and saw the nightlife. Elvis statues decorated the streets, bachelorette parties GALORE, and lots of country music streaming from the bars. Lance directed me behind an apartment complex where there was a great view of the city lit up. 


Frothy Monkey

Old Glory




We picked up beers before heading back to the farm and had the legal passenger drinking conversation. Back at the farm, I brought out my record player. This is one of those items I didn't need to bring with me, but I am happy I did. It's made many nights enjoyable and it's always fun looking at second hand records. The night was breezy and Lance, the lambs, and I enjoyed our mix of albums. A frog joined us and was the DJ for a few songs. 




I remembered that the hollywood vanity mirror had a birds nest in it and wanted to snap a photo. I went over and slowly opened the mirror door and made a little bit of noise to see if Mama bird was in there. Nothing happened so I stuck my iPhone in to take a photo of the nest. As soon as it flashed, Mama bird hauled ass out of there, scaring the hell out of me and I dropped my newly fixed phone. Thankfully, it didn't break again, just got dirty. I was so worried about scaring the Mama and her not coming back. I saved my photo taking for the next day when I could see clearly into the nest and make sure she wasn't there. I love a set up like this one. Out on the farm with fresh grown crops and farm animals, but only a quick ride away from civilization. It's the perfect mix of nature and people. 



No comments:

Post a Comment