Saturday, June 4, 2016

Asheville, NC: Farmhands

One of the things that I was curious about before WWOOFing was Neville’s reaction to chickens, since many places have them. I parked right next to the chicken coop and let the beast free. He was curious, ran around them and sniffed a few times, then basically ignored them from there on out. Good! Mom and I started off learning what the chickens ate and helped feed the pigs. They get excited like dogs do and sound about the same around feeding time. I loved it. 




Robert eased us further into farmer life by helping us weed the plant beds. Before Mom made her way down to where we were, he showed me what to pick and what was edible; I thought it would be fun to freak Mom out by eating some while we were down there together. When she joined us I casually put one of the edible weeds in my mouth and started chewing nonchalantly while we were talking. She didn’t even blink. I guess it’s hard to surprise a woman that has raised four children. We got to breaking up the ground and clearing it out; turns out that it’s much easier doing this when using a hoe. It’s hard not to have a song like this pop into your head when working with one, especially with a mind like my moms: 


Time actually passed quickly with the three of us out there working together and getting to know one another. Robert and Mom are from the same area and he is familiar with a few of the places on my agenda. He shared good spots to visit and we shared stories of our previous farm experiences. This first day of work was light since Mom and I had preexisting plans, but we made up for it the next day. 

Day 2 of farming started off closer to the house, weeding and mulching the garden. I worked the hoe again to get a huge weed out of the way of a garden bed and damn! it felt good when I finally got that sucker. A lot of work for a small reward, but I’m proud nonetheless. We filled the wheelbarrow and mulched around trees as well, and not only is the mulch useful, things just look better with it.




Robert mentions tilling the land and we only have a vague idea of what he is talking about, but hey, we’re up for whatever! To clarify, the dictionary definition is: to prepare (soil, a piece of land, etc.) for growing crops. Basically, the machine has metal spikes underneath it that spin and you guide the till while pushing the handles down to lower the spikes into the land to loosen up the soil prior to planting. There are probably official terms for all of that, but you get the picture. Anyway, we go back down to the spot from the day before and compliment him on how beautiful, clear, and weed free the soil looks. He tells us more about what the till does and I walk down a path with him to bring back a large and a small one. The man who stores the machines got a kick out of us maneuvering them out of the shed and up a hill. “I love watching people learn new things,” he tells me while chuckling at me attempting to turn this big awkward piece of equipment. We make it back to Mom and she can’t wait to watch this happen. Robert wants to try the small till, starts it up, it kicks and takes off. Mom then decides this will be photo worthy and heads to the house to grab the camera. He goes up and down the soil a few times then switches to the big one. He gives that a go and Mom returns, disappointed, because I’m not the one manning it. Well, that changed. I ask Robert what she and I can do to help and he smiles and tells me its my turn. Fabulous. He gives me a detailed run down on how it works and what to do. Got it. I feel only mildly nervous that I’ll lose a foot somehow, but overall confident that I can handle at least giving it a try, especially since he will be nearby. He helps me start it up, I grab the handles, and *BAM* we’re off! Now, this moment was different for my mom and I. As I recall, the till starts, goes, I take a few steps, Robert lowers the spikes, and I adjust myself when I realize what to do (I know he told me, but I’m more of a hands-on learner), and I do it until my arms are tired. All the while, my mother is cracking up. And I mean that- not a giggle or laughing in amusement- the woman is cracking up loud and hard. She keeps trying to say something to me, but this machine is far from quiet and I keep telling her that I can’t hear her. When I take my break from holding this machine down into the ground, lifting, turning, and guiding- I ask her what is so hilarious. She says my face when the till started was priceless and that it was just hilarious in general to watch me, her favorite daughter, manning a till, because it’s never something she thought she would see me do (those might not have been her exact words, but it was something close to that). I try to convince her to go next and she’s adamant that she won’t. Oh well.




 I feel good! Confident! I’m certainly not a farmer, and I may not know how to put on foundation or liquid mascara, but damn it I can till! My arms might fall off from being sore tomorrow, but I did it! And I even love that my cackling mother was there with me, experiencing these new things. This day is great. All of this this hard manual labor gave me a renewed appreciation for farmers. I kept thinking of how proud my granddaddy would be and that he too would probably be amused. It also made me think of all you Crossfit folks (talking to you, Ashley)- y’all should try farming! It’s excellent exercise, a lot of hard work, and can be done alone or with others. Plus you can get sun while you do it, see immediate results, AND enjoy the fruits of your labor! And just think of how easily word will spread since you KNOW you’ll tell all of your friends (and probably strangers) about it :)  Worth a try, anyway.      



4 comments:

  1. Simply HILARIOUS!!! 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, favorite daughter😜 That's all I got out of this lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, I would die after about 3 minutes on that damned farm.

    ReplyDelete